Polishing Togo’s ride
Those appreciative of 20th Century naval history will find a slight bit of irony in this photo:
Commissioned in 1902, the Vickers-built 15,000-ton Mikasa was notable as Adm. Togo’s flagship during the Russo-Japanese War including putting the capital “T” in Tsushima.
Rebuilt after a magazine explosion, she was later decommissioned to comply with the 1922 Washington Naval Treaty and preserved as a museum ship, somehow managing not to pick up a dozen 500-pound bombs during WWII only to be restored in a campaign championed by no less a figure than Adm. Nimitz.
Mikasa is the only pre-dreadnought battleship still around (as well as Japan’s last battlewagon) and predates the elderly dreadnought USS Texas (BB-35) by a decade.