Homeward Bound, 57 Years Ago
On 14 September 1964, the ex-USS Alabama (BB-60), arrived at the entrance of Mobile Bay in her namesake state after a 5,600 nm tow from mothballs at Puget Sound, where she had rested since her decommissioning in 1947. Just five months later she opened as a museum, the centerpiece of the Alabama Battleship Memorial Park, where she remains in excellent repair today.
Her departure from Bremerton left the Navy with just four battleships in storage, all Iowas, who would live on to fight another day.
Within a year, she was busy in her new life.