Found, One bomber, last of a kind, good shape
Buried in the Goodwin Sands off of the Kent Coast of England, which they plan to recover, it is known to be Do 17Z-2 WrkNr 1160 was operated by 7 Staffel, III Gruppe, Kampfgeschwader 3. It was part of a KG 2 and 3 raid to bomb RAF Debden and RAF Hornchurch on 26 August 1940. It crash-landed during the raid and sank in fifty feet of water.
The Dornier Do 17, sometimes referred to as the Fliegender Bleistift (German: “flying pencil”), was a World War II German light bomber produced by Claudius Dornier’s company, Dornier Flugzeugwerke. It was designed as a Schnellbomber (“fast bomber”), a light bomber which, in theory, would be so fast that it could outrun defending fighter aircraft.
A dozen early Dorniers were sent to Spain to fly in the Confor Leagion of fasict volunters flying for Franco in the Spainish Civil War. The Spanish referred to the planes as the Bacalaos (“Codfish”). The unit was named VB/88 (Versuchsbomben Staffel, meaning Experimental Bomber Squadron). VB/88s Dorniers were involved in a strike around Guernica, but that particular unit’s objective was a bridge, rather than civilian areas. VB/88 dropped 8 tonnes (9 tons) of bombs, while K/88 added 37 tonnes (41 tons) over the city itself causing the deaths of about 1,500 people, and the subject of Picasso’s famous painting.
It was on 12 March 1938, Do 17Es of KG 155 dropped pro-Nazi leaflets on Vienna, as a prelude to the city’s occupation during the German Anschluss operation.
In the Second World War they were very active in the early Blitzkreig in the West, Norway, Greece and the Battle of Britian where the Dornier Do 17s losses in the Battle of Britain are given as between 132 and 171, the lowest losses as a ratio of the three German bomber types in the campaign. Service on the Eastern front and finally as a night fighter against Allied bomber formations in 1944-45 closed its war campaign.
The example off of Kent, if salvaged, will be the only known example of the craft on display, the last flying version being scrapped in Finalnd in the 1950s.