Who Made the Most Guns in 2021?
The latest statistics from federal regulators point to a big jump in production for the most recent year available.
The current Annual Firearms Manufacturers and Export Report, released by the ATF late last month, covers the 2021 calendar year. The finalized AFMER is purposely a year behind to protect industry secrets and to allow for all of the data to be compiled. The total figures for 2021 amounted to 13,129,493 firearms* of all types– pistols (6,751,919), revolvers (1,159,918), shotguns (675,426), rifles (3,934,374), and miscellaneous (1,283,282).
*Keep in mind this is just for modern small arms made in America and doesn’t include imports from overseas or muzzleloaders.
When compared to the finalized 2020 year-end figures of 11,064,078, the latest figures represent a significant 18.7 percent increase.
Diving deeper into the overall totals for 2021, I did a lot of Excel spreadsheet sorting to look at the largest manufacturers in terms of quantity in each category.
Top 10 Pistol Makers
- Smith & Wesson (Columbia, Missouri) 1,648,885 pistols
- SIG Sauer (Newington, New Hampshire) 1,213,403
- Sturm, Ruger (Prescott AZ, Newport, NH & Mayodan NC) 1,058,080
- Glock Inc. (Smyrna, Georgia) 581,944
- Taurus Intl Mfg. (Bainbridge, Georgia) 290,780
- Kimber Mfg. Inc. (Troy, Alabama) 255,175
- SCCY Industries (Daytona Beach, Florida) 216,932
- Springfield (Geneseo, Illinois) 148,264
FN America (Columbia, South Carolina) 132,205
- Beretta USA Corp (Gallatin, Tennessee) 129,965
Top 10 Revolver Makers
- Heritage Manufacturing (Bainbridge, Georgia) 492,584 revolvers
- Sturm, Ruger (Newport, New Hampshire) 276,015
- Smith & Wesson (Columbia, Missouri) 232,357
- Colt’s Manufacturing (West Hartford, Connecticut) 65,062
- North American Arms (Provo, Utah) 57,142
- Kimber Mfg. Inc. (Troy, Alabama) 16,975
- Standard Mfg. Co (New Britain, Connecticut) 11,602
- Automated Finishing Co (Attleboro, Massachusetts) 2,053
- Magnum Research (Pillager, Minnesota) 1,833
- Nighthawk Custom (Berryville, Arkansas) 1,110
Top 10 Rifle Makers
- Sturm, Ruger (Newport, NH & Mayodan NC) 735,857 rifles
- Springfield (Geneseo, Illinois) 442,486
- Smith & Wesson (Columbia, Missouri) 427,368
- Savage Arms (Westfield, Massachusetts) 392,880
- Henry Repeating Arms (Rice Lake, Wisconsin) 296,948
- Diamondback Firearms (Cocoa, Florida) 133,162
- Radical Firearms (Stafford, Texas) 99,954
- SIG Sauer (Newington, New Hampshire) 80,129
- Keystone Sporting Arms (Milton, Pennsylvania) 76,860
- Daniel Defense (Black Creek, Georgia) 76,729
Top 10 Shotgun Makers
- Maverick Arms (Eagle Pass, Texas) 292,944 shotguns
- Legacy Sports (Reno, Nevada) 161,099
- KelTec (Cocoa, Florida) 46,737
- RemArms (Ilion, New York) 45,277
- Beretta USA (Gallatin, Tennessee) 24,210
- IWI US (Middletown, Pennsylvania) 15,965
- Henry Repeating Arms (Rice Lake, Wisconsin) 15,865
- Savage Arms (Westfield, Massachusetts) 13,352
- International Firearms Corp (Midwest City, Oklahoma) 11,423
- Standard Mfg. Co (New Britain, Connecticut) 9,435
Top 10 Misc Firearms makers
This category, besides being a catch-all for everything that cannot be classified by the ATF as a pistol, rifle, revolver, or shotgun, gets its large numbers due to standalone receivers (which for instance can be assembled into rifles or pistols for instance) and non-shotgun “firearms” such as the Mossberg Shockwave and RemArms Tac-13/Tac-14.
- WM Anderson (Hebron, Kentucky) 471,787
- Aero Precision (Tacoma, Washington) 174,091
- Maverick Arms (Eagle Pass, Texas) 104,258
- Century Arms (Georgia, Vermont) 66,631
- Black Rain Ordnance (Neosho, Missouri) 62,343
- KE Arms (Phoenix, Arizona) 37,261
- Senga Engineering (Santa Ana, California) 23,324
- 3rd Gen Machine (Logan, Utah) 19,656
- RemArms (Ilion, New York) 16,516
- Noreen Firearms (Belgrade, Montana) 15,073
Is Maverick Arms, Texas Mossberg?
Yes. They make guns under both the Mossberg and Maverick rollmark but the 07 FFL is in Maverick’s name. Texas tax breaks lol
Tax laws. You have to love them.