Tag Archives: protected cruiser

Warship Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2023: Of Mustaches, Stars, and Condemned Cannons

Here at LSOZI, we take off every Wednesday for a look at the old steam/diesel navies of the 1833-1954 period and will profile a different ship each week. These ships have a life, a tale all their own, which sometimes takes them to the strangest places. – Christopher Eger

Warship Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2023: Of Mustaches, Stars, and Condemned Cannons

Photograph by J.S. Johnston, New York. Naval History and Heritage Command NH 63251

Above we see a beautiful large format photograph of the early protected cruiser, USS Newark (Cruiser No. 1, later C-1) — the first modern steel-hulled cruiser in the U.S. Fleet, in the Hudson in 1891. You can clearly see her broadside of a half dozen 6″/30 guns, the ornately adorned ram bow, the extensive array of whaleboats and gigs to include a steam launch in the water, as well as her three-masted auxiliary sailing rig. A true warship caught between the end of the canvas and iron Navy and the beginning of the one made of steel.

She would have a unique place in American naval history.

The Squadron of Evolution

The Navy’s first run of steel-hulled ships, all mounting modern rifled breech-loading naval guns, protected by at least a modicum of armor, relying on steam engineering plants as their main means of propulsion, and even lit by electric lights, started with the famed “ABCD” ships– the protected cruisers USS Atlanta, Boston, and Chicago, joined by the smaller dispatch boat USS Dolphin (later PG-24)-– all ordered from the same shipyard, John Roach & Sons of Chester, Pennsylvania.

While the ABC part of this quartet was built to fight, running 3,200 tons in the case of Atlanta and Boston and 4,500 tons for Chicago, with as much as 4 inches of armor plate and a total of eight 8-inch, 20 6-inch, and two 5-inch guns between them, Dolphin was a lot less of a bruiser. That was OK, because their demonstration unit, the so-called Squadron of Evolution, or “White Squadron” was soon augmented by three smaller 1,900-ton Palmer and Cramp-built Yorktown class gunboats including USS Bennington and USS Concord.

Although the ABCD boats and the Yorktowns were all ordered and built between 1883 and 1890, it is Newark, ordered 3 March 1885 and not delivered until 1891, that is classified by the Navy as Cruiser No. 1 as Atlanta and Boston never received “C” series hull/pennant numbers while Chicago, by a twist of fate, earned a somewhat retroactive “CA-14” only in 1920 when she was hopelessly obsolete. The follow-on protected cruisers USS Charleston, USS Baltimore, USS Philadelphia, and USS San Francisco, therefore, became C-2, C-3, C-4, and C-5 although their orders and construction roughly overlapped Newark.

The Squadron of Evolution, including Newark on the top center and right across from Atlanta. So pretty she made the poster twice! LOC 79-HPS-9-1339

The “White Squadron” or “Squadron of Evolution” was underway off the U.S. East Coast, circa 1891. Ships are, (I-R): YORKTOWN (PG-1), BOSTON (1887) CONCORD (PG-3), ATLANTA (1887), NEWARK (C-1) CHICAGO (1889) NH 47026

Anywhoo…

Meet Newark

Our subject was the first warship commissioned to honor the largest city in New Jersey (as well as towns in Delaware, New York, and Ohio).

Some 328 feet long overall (311 at the waterline) she was considered a considerable improvement on Chicago. With a displacement of just over 4,000 tons, she carried a complete protective deck that ran two inches thick amidships with three inches at the slopes as well as splinter shields for her main guns and a conning tower with three-inch armor on the sides.

USS Newark (C-1) unofficial plans, published in the Transactions of the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, 1893. Published in the Transactions of the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, NH 70105.

As a sailing ship, she was rigged as a barque without royals or headgear while her main propulsion was via a set of HTE engines propelled by four coal-fired boilers, sufficient to gin up 8,500 hp and able to drive the fighting ship at a healthy 18 knots.

The immaculate USS Newark (C-1) in harbor with other warships, during the early 1890s, showing off her wide and very functional yardarms. Glass lantern slide original from the A.S. Murray Collection. NH 45473

Her ornate rounded bow, Newark shown at the New York Navy Yard, 23 March 1899. Courtesy of the Skerritt Collection, Bethlehem Steel Co. archives. NH 45475

Dynamo Room Library of Congress Photograph ID det.4a14464

USS Newark (C-1) engine room. Detroit Photographic Company, circa 1891-1912. Courtesy of the Library of Congress. Lot 3000-F-10

Her primary armament was a full dozen 6″/30 Mark 3 Mod 0 breechloading guns, an upgrade from the 6″/30 Mark 1s carried by the ABCD squadron and the Yorktowns. Black powder “bag” guns, they were capable of firing 105-pound AP shells out to 18,000 yards at maximum elevation/charge, with a rate of fire of about one shell every other minute or so. 

A barefoot member of Newark’s crew poses by the breech of a 6″/30 gun, 1898. Copied from the collection of WM. D. Edwards, courtesy of Robert W. Edwards, 1974. NH 80844

USS Newark (Cruiser #1), gunners loading a 6-inch gun. Photographed by Edward H. Hart, published by Detroit Publishing Company, between 1891-1901. LC-DIG-DET-4a14471

USS Newark C-1, 6 inch gun

To zap small steam torpedo launches and small craft capable of coming in close and under her broadside’s minimum depression arc, Newark carried an array of small pieces.

This included four 57mm/40cal Hotchkiss Mk I/II 6-pounders, a quartet of 47mm/40cal 3-pounder Hotchkiss Mk Is, and two 37mm/20cal Hotchkiss Mk I revolving Gatling-style guns.

USS Newark. Electrician 1/c Sullivan with one of the ship’s six-pounder guns, in 1898. NH 80783

Newark. The ship’s Marines operating a 3-pounder gun and Gatling gun during a drill in the 1890s. Description: NH 75458

USS Newark (C-1) crew member on the forecastle, with two 37mm Hotchkiss revolving guns in 1898. Description: NH 80779

Like most naval vessels of her day, she could muster about a third of her 384-man crew who, joined with her Marine detachment, could disembark for extended landing force service ashore, equipped with rifles and field gear as a light infantry company. More on this later.

USS Newark (C-1) ship’s Marine Guard, photographed during the 1890s. Note the blue sack coats and kepis not much removed from Civil War days, and what look to be M1884 Springfield Trapdoor rifles, weapons that would remain in service even when supplanted by the Winchester M1895 Lee-Navy bolt-action repeater. For instance, six Springfield M1884 Trapdoor rifles were recovered from the wreck of the USS Maine in 1900. NH 75457

Marching order, seen here by Marines of USS Maine in 1895, would consist of Mills cartridge belts, haversacks, canteens, leg gaiters, and day packs for both the Marines and the ship’s Naval company. From the Wendell C. Neville Collection (COLL/2985) in the Marine Corps Archives & Special Collections.

USS Newark (C-1) ship’s Marines at action stations, on the poop deck, during the 1890s. Note the drummer in the center, with the ship’s wheel below. Also, note the ventilator. NH 75459

Newark, gunners with 6-inch gun and crew gathering boarding/landing gear including rifles, Mills belts, bayonets (right), and cutlasses (left) LOC LC-DIG-DET-4a14473v

Cutlass practice-1890s-aboard the early protected cruiser USS Newark (C-1). LOC photo via Shorpy colorized by Postales Navales

Then of course the ship herself was a weapon, a massive ram capable of smashing into the hull of an opponent and crashing her strengthened bow into the bulkheads of an enemy vessel.

How about that ram bow! USS Newark (C-1) In dry dock, Winter of 1898. NH 80799

And a shot of her bow from the same dry dock period, just for continuity. Note by this time her rigging had been reduced for the SpanAm war and she wears haze gray. NH 80798

Among her boats were plans for a 28-foot steam whaleboat, a 24-foot twin-masted sail cutter, two 28-foot sail cutters, a 30-foot whale gig, and two 29-foot whaleboats.

U.S. Navy protected cruiser, USS Newark (C-1), boat drill at Hampton Roads, Virginia. Detroit Photographic Company, circa 1891-1912. Courtesy of the Library of Congress. Lot 3000-F-12

Another J.S. Johnston, New York image from 1891 of Newark, this time from the bow, showing her with boats alongside. NH 69195

USS Newark (C-1) hoisting in the steam launch, preparatory to going to sea, 9 August 1898. Note her dark wartime topside scheme. NH 80793

USS Newark (C-1) view on the deck, looking aft, in 1898, showing the 45-star flag and a cutter. NH 80780

Happy service

Ordered from William Cramp and Sons, Philadelphia– the yard that had built Yorktown and would likewise build the cruisers Baltimore (C-3) and Philadelphia (C-4) alongside– Newark was laid down 12 June 1888, launched 19 March 1890, and commissioned on Groundhog’s Day 1891.

Her first skipper was Capt. Silas Casey Jr. (USNA 1860), a future admiral who had learned his trade during the Civil War on the blockade line aboard the famed Unadilla-class gunboats Wissahickon and Winooski. Her next eight skippers, some of whom only held command for a few months to cap a career, were all Civil War veterans– the end of an era.

This 1891 photograph via the Detroit Photographic Company shows Captain Silas Casey (USNA 1860), skipper of the cruiser USS Newark (C-1), sitting in his well-furnished stateroom with his Old English Bulldog sleeping quietly on the floor. Casey doubled down on being a dog lover as shown by his taste in art as the picture behind him is an illustration used for the “No Monkeying” brand of cigars, which depicts two bulldogs playing poker with a monkey. LOC LC-USZ62-71185 https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2003656056/

Newark from her starboard bow, showing the size of her fighting tops. Halftone photo, published in “Uncle Sam’s Navy.” NH 45474

The next half-decade, until she entered ordinary for a well-deserved refit in March 1896, saw Newark showing the flag in West Indies ports then ranging to South Africa and Europe, often serving as an admiral’s flagship, and taking part in numerous international naval activities such as the 400th Anniversary of Columbus’ sailing which included port calls in Genoa (the explorer’s birthplace), towing a replica of the humble caravel Nina across the Atlantic from Spain, and attending the myriad of naval reviews in Hampton Roads and New York in 1893.

This left several great images of our cruiser.

USS Newark (C-1) photographed in 1892 at Genoa with a beautiful view of her 6″/30s and boat davits. Courtesy of Arrigo Barilli. NH 45476

USS Newark at Barcelona, 1892

Torpedo Boat USS Cushing TB-1 New York USS Newark C-1 USS Chicago

USS Newark, Detriot Photo 020641

Period photographers likewise captured some great shots of her crew that stand as absolute time capsules for the era, saved in a scrapbook from the vessel collected by William D. Edwards and via the Detroit Postcard company.

USS Newark (Cruiser # 1) Two African American members of the cruiser’s crew, 1898. The man on the left is wearing a steward’s uniform. Copied from the scrapbook of William D. Edwards, courtesy of Robert W. Edwards, 1974. NH 80782

USS Newark (C-1) Officer and crew member pose by the wheelhouse, in 1898. Copied from the scrapbook of William D. Edwards, Courtesy of Robert W. Edwards, 1974. NH 80845

USS Newark (C-1) crew members by a searchlight, in 1898. Copied from the collection of William D. Edwards, courtesy of Robert W. Edwards, 1974. NH 80843

U.S. Navy protected cruiser, USS Newark (C-1), shown: quarter-deck. Note the old Tars. Detroit Photographic Company, circa 1891-1912. Courtesy of the Library of Congress. Lot 3000-F-9

U.S. Navy protected cruiser, USS Newark (C-1), shown: berthing deck. Detroit Photographic Company, circa 1891-1912. Courtesy of the Library of Congress. Lot 3000-F-4

USS Newark bridge LOC LC-D4-20065

USS Newark Petty Officers Mess LC-D4-20070

War!

Following an extensive 14-month overhaul, Newark recommissioned on 23 May 1898, just weeks after the U.S. declaration of war on Spain. When she emerged, she looked much more like a 20th Century warship rather than one of the 19th, having removed her original mainmast as well as her sails and rigging to leave two short military masts topped with searchlights, and donned a heavy coat of gray paint. She was swathed in splinter nets and landed much of her ornate woodwork from below decks. 

USS Newark (C-1) view on deck, 9 August 1898, showing splinter netting rigged and a 6″/30 mount. Note that this was just after the Spanish-American war, when the cruiser was made very much ready for combat. NH 80778

USS Newark (C-1) in port, Antonio Harbor, Jamaica, 11 October 1898. Note she is in her gray warpaint with a much-reduced rigging and just two military masts. NH 80792

Her wartime skipper was Capt. Albert Smith Barker (USNA 1861), who had served in the Civil War aboard the old USS Mississippi and held command of the early battleship USS Oregon and, leaving his position on the Army-Navy Board eagerly accepted command of Newark. Her new navigator, late of the armored cruiser USS New York, was LT William F. Halsey Sr.– yes, that Halsey’s old man.

Sailing on 13 June for Key West and then Cuba, she joined the blockade on 30 June and served intermittently as the flagship of Commodore John Crittenden Watson, Commander, Eastern Fleet. Cruising in Cuban waters throughout the summer, Newark bombarded the port of Manzanillo on 12 August and on the following day accepted its surrender.

Carrying part of the First Marine Battalion with its commander, Col. Robert W. Huntington, aboard, Barker noted the sadness displayed by the Marine colonel at the sight of the white flags over Manzanillo on 13 August, saying, “As part of the contemplated plan of operations was the landing of some or all of the marines of Colonel Huntington’s command. This officer’s regret at the loss of an opportunity to win additional distinction for his corps and himself was only equaled by his careful study of the necessities of the case and his zealous entrance into the spirit of the enterprise.”

After the Battle of Santiago, she participated in the final destruction of Admiral Cervera’s fleet, bombarding the burned Spanish hulks.

USS Newark (C-1) coaling from a schooner, 1898. Though deteriorated, this photo shows an activity that was a frequent, and very dirty, reality of Spanish-American War naval operations. Copied from the collection of William D. Edwards, by courtesy of Robert W. Edwards, 1974.NH 80841

A hunting party from USS NEWARK (C-1) in the ruins of a Spanish building on Windward Point, entrance to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, 3 September 1898– it looks like they are armed with M1895 Lee Navy rifles. NH 80791

With the war over, Newark was needed on the other side of the globe where the Philippines, a former Spanish colony, was ablaze.

After a short trip back to New York, Newark steamed through the Straits of Magellan to San Francisco then across the Pacific for the Philippines arriving in Cavite on 25 November 1899. By the end of the year, her landing forces were moving ashore, receiving the surrender of insurrectionists in the provinces of Cagayan, Isabela, and Bataan.

Philippine Insurrection, 1899. The garrison of Aparri from the USS Newark after the Surrender. McCalla collection, presented to Library by Captain D.W. Knox, USN. (Ret) 1926. NH 123421.

Boxing the Boxers

Having had little rest since she was recommissioned in May 1898 that took her from Santiago to Bataan, the year 1900 found our cruiser and her seasoned crew still in haze gray on Asiatic Station. She pulled up anchor on 20 May while at Yokohama, bound for China to help land reinforcements to relieve the international legations under siege by the anti-foreign/anti-Christian forces of the “Society of the Righteous Harmonious Fists,” at Peking.

Just two days later, she was in the midst of the mess, arriving at the port of Tientsin and then moving against Taku and Chefoo.

Over the next 11 weeks, Newark and her crew and Marine detachment would be involved in a series of actions, battles, and sieges ranging from running dispatches and medical supplies through bandit territory to outright heavy fighting against the Chinese Imperial Army.

A joint naval force was assembled from eight European navies and placed under the command of VADM Edward Hobart Seymour, Royal Navy, with Newark’s Captain Bowman H. McCalla as the second in command. In all, the 2,100-strong force (including 112 Americans, mostly from Newark) went down in history as the Seymour Relief Expedition, which tried but failed to relieve Peking and had to withdraw back to Tientsin by train, with Peking relieved later in the summer by the successful Gaselee Expedition.

Among Newark’s crew at the time was a young midshipman, Joseph Knefler Taussig, who would go on to become a WWII Vice Admiral– one of a very few individuals who served in the Spanish-American War, World War I and World War II, famously clashing with FDR. Taussig would be in good company, as, included among the British contingent were young Royal Navy officers Capt. John Jellicoe and LT David Beatty.

The cadet was seriously wounded in the leg during the Expedition. He wasn’t the only one. During the battle for the Hsiku Arsenal, Capt. McCalla, along with 25 of his force, was wounded and five were killed.

Seymour Expedition, May 1900. Officers of USS Newark (C-1) on board a ship, ascending the Pei Ho River en route to Tientsin. Present are (left-right): Midshipman C.E. Courtney, Ensign D.W. Wurtzbaugh, Captain N.H. Hall (USMC), Naval Aviation Cadet J.K. Taussig, Assistant Surgeon T.M. Lippitt, and Machinist Daniel Mullan. The McCalla Collection. Courtesy of Captain D.W. Knox. NH 45347

Those who did make it to the Legation Quarter in Peking on 31 May amounted to roughly a light company under Marine Capt. John “Handsome Jack” Myers, who, along with 20 Marines from the battleship USS Oregon also counted a force from USS Newark made up of Capt. Newt Hall and 23 Marines, five Sailors, and U.S. Navy Assistant Surgeon T.M. Lippett.

They arrived with five days rations, an M1895 Colt “potato-digger” machine gun removed from Newark along with 8,000 rounds of ammo for it, and 20,000 rounds for their Navy-Lee rifles. Leaving their kit on their ships, they only had the clothes on their back and the contents of their pockets.

Then began the famed “55 Days in Peking” that lasted from 20 June to 14 August before the Gaselee Expedition arrived and the Boxers were defeated.

One of the bluejackets from Newark during the Peking Siege was Gunner’s Mate First Class Joseph Andrew Mitchell. Born in Philadelphia in 1876, Mitchell grew up tinkering with the flotsam of the Revolutionary and Civil War and was something of a cannon fan, hence his occupation. It was to come in handy when the outnumbered Legation garrison was facing off with upwards of 20,000 besieging Boxers.

As told in an article via the Sextant:

Mitchell and the U.S. legation’s secretary Herbert Squiers had an idea: build a piece of artillery using the cylinder of a pump as the cannon barrel. They began to experiment, but then, on 7 July, a stroke of luck changed their plans. Chinese Christian refugees sheltering in the Legation Quarter discovered a cannon barrel reportedly lying in a junk shop, likely a relic from the Anglo-French expedition during the Second Opium War. Firsthand accounts record that the barrel was rifled and forged from either bronze or steel, but what Mitchell received was a “mass of rust and dirt.” He scraped and cleaned the barrel to give it “a creditable appearance,” one worthy of serving as the centerpiece for his improvised gun.

At first, the barrel was mounted to a heavy pole. When this proved unsatisfactory, the gun carriage was taken from the Italian’s 1-pounder, and the barrel was secured to the carriage with rope. Now, ammunition was needed. The Russian allies had arrived in Beijing with a chest of 3-inch shells but forgotten their gun in the city of Tianjin. When the siege began, they had thrown their shells down a well to prevent them from falling into Chinese hands. The disposed shells were hauled up, but found to be too large for the narrow barrel. Mitchell solved this problem by first removing the shells from their casings, then ramming them into the barrel. Thus, the “International Gun” was born, made of material from Russia and Italy and primarily manned by an American gunner, Joseph Mitchell. Members of the international guard also knew the weapon as “Betsey” or “the Empress Dowager.”

The “International Gun” and its crew. Gunner’s Mate Joseph Mitchell stands second from the right holding a modified Russian shell. (Photograph by Reverend Charles A. Killie. Billie Love Historical Collection and Special Collections, University of Bristol Library, http://www.hpcbristol.net/visual/bl-n033.)

GM1 Joseph Mitchell Boxer depicted during the Rebellion firing “Old International”

‘The International Gun’, an improvised cannon used during the siege of the Legation Quarter, Peking (Photograph by Reverend Charles A. Killie. Billie Love Historical Collection and Special Collections, University of Bristol Library, https://hpcbristol.net/visual/NA05-04)

Mitchell and his crew somehow kept the International Gun and its improvised shells working, moving the artillery piece from location to location within the Legation to make it seem like the garrison had more than just a single pop gun at their disposal.

Of the 56 Sailors and Marines from Oregon and Newark, seven were killed and 10 seriously wounded during the siege, including Mitchell who was shot in the arm on the last day of the action.

Of the 22 Marine and 33 Navy recipients of the Medal of Honor for the Boxer Rebellion, a whopping 35 (12 USMC and 22 USN) came from men assigned to USS Newark, including MitchellKeep in mind that 11 Navy ships (Brooklyn, Monocacy, Nashville, New Orleans, Newark, Solace, and Wheeling) served in Chinese waters during the Rebellion long enough for their personnel to be authorized the China Relief Expedition Medal.

It was a melting pot amalgamation of bluejackets to be sure.

Among Newark’s crew who earned the MoH were German-born Coxswain Karl Thomas, Seaman Hans Anton Hansen and Chief Machinist Carl Emil Petersen; Norwegian Gunner’s Mate Third Class Martin Torinus Torgerson, Finnish-born Seaman Axel Westermark, London-born Seaman William Seach, Sons of Eire to include Belfast-born Seaman Samuel McAllister and Landsman Joseph Killackey of County Cork, and one Boatswain’s Mate First Class Edward G. Allen who, despite his Anglicized name, had a birthplace was listed as Amsterdam, Holland in 1859, making him 41 at the time of the expedition, its “old man.”

Other Newark crewmembers with Boxer Rebellion MoHs:

  • Chief Boatswain’s Mate Joseph Clancy (age 37)
  • Chief Carpenter’s Mate William Francis Hamberger (later LCDR)
  • Oiler Frank Elmer Smith
  • Coxswain Francis Thomas Ryan
  • Coxswain John McCloy
  • Coxswain Jay P. Williams
  • Boatswain’s Mate First Class William Edward Holyoke
  • Machinist First Class Burke Hanford
  • Gunner’s Mate Second Class John Purness Chatham
  • Hospital Apprentice Robert Henry Stanley
  • Landsman James a Smith
  • Seaman George Harry Rose (later LCDR)

Then of course were Newark’s Marines who earned the MoH:

  • Gunnery Sergeant Peter Stewart
  • CPL Reuben Jasper Phillips
  • CPL Edwin Nelson Appleton (later Captain)
  • PVT William F. Zion
  • PVT France Silva
  • PVT Harry Westley Orndoff
  • PVT Henry William Heisch (formerly of Latendorf, Germany)
  • PVT Louis Rene Gaiennie
  • PVT Daniel Joseph Daly (the only enlisted Marine to have won the Medal of Honor twice, for two separate acts of gallantry)
  • PVT William Louis Carr
  • PVT James Burnes
  • Drummer John Alphonsus Murphy (aged 18)

A collection of images of some of Newark’s Marines and Sailors who earned the MoH in the Boxer Rebellion, along with “Handsome Jack” Myers (bottom right), who was played in the 1963 “55 Days at Peking” film by Charlton Heston. On the bottom left is Daly, who picked up his second MoH in Haiti in 1915

The controversial Capt. Newt Hamill Hall, head of Newark’s Marine detachment at Peking. One of only 20 men in history to earn the Marine Corps Brevet Medal, he went on to retire as a colonel and passed in 1939, aged 66. Source: Military Order of the Dragon, 1900-1911 (1912).

Back from the East

Newark sailed for home in mid-April 1901, via Hong Kong, Ceylon, and the Suez, arriving at Boston in July 1901. There, she would be modernized, landing her SpanAm War-era “bag” 6″/30 Mark 3 guns for a dozen new 6″/40 Mark 4s that used fixed shells and had easily twice the rate of fire.

She would put her gleaming white paint scheme back on for at least a half-decade and once again show the flag around the West Indies and off the coast of South America, then clock in as a training ship for the Naval Academy.

USS Newark (C-1) at the review of the North Atlantic Fleet, 1905. Note her newly installed longer 6″/40 caliber Mark 4s, which don’t have shields. Photo by The Burr McIntosh Studio. Courtesy of The Naval Historical Foundation, Rodgers Collection. NH 91219

Venezuela circa 1904. American fleet at La Guaira. The Gunboat/Cruiser at the far left is of the Denver Class (C-14/19) The other two ships, nearest center and farthest out, are two of the three Montgomery Class Gunboats/Cruisers (C-9/11). All three ships have different scroll work on their bows and based on that the nearest is the Montgomery (C-9). The other is the Detroit (C-10). The two 2-stackers on the left are Raleigh (C-8) and Cincinnati (C-7); the 2-stacker farthest away from the camera is the Newark (C-7), and the single-stacker is the Texas. In front of the Texas is the armored cruiser New York (ACR-2) (3 stacks). At right is the armored cruiser Brooklyn (ACR-3) (also with three stacks).

She spent a year on loan (May 1907-May 1908) to the New York Naval Militia and would be the floating home to the organization’s 1st Battalion.

Another good view of her 6″/40 caliber Mark 4s. “New Home Naval Reserve 1st Battalion~USS Newark Cruiser”~Enrique Muller postcard 1904

Then, returning to active service, she was used as a station ship at Naval Station Guantanamo Bay until 1912.

By that time, although she was just 21 years old, the concept of an 18-knot cruiser on the cusp of the Great War was ludicrous and she was marked for decommissioning.

Stricken from the Navy List in June 1913 she served as a Public Health Service quarantine hulk at Providence, Rhode Island, and temporarily as a naval hospital annex there until 1926 when she was disposed of, sold for her value as scrap on 7 September, some 97 years ago this week.

Epilogue

Across her career from February 1891 to June 1912, Newark had 21 skippers, all Annapolis men. No less than seven went on to wear admiral’s stars.

Some of her Mark 4 6″/30s, removed in 1913, were no doubt used to arm merchant ships against U-boats in the Great War.

Newark is well remembered in period artwork from her era, some of it breathtaking.

“Peace” painting by Walter L. Dean, published in “Harper ‘s Weekly”‘ circa 1893. It shows the “White Squadron” in Boston Harbor, during the early 1890s. The ship in the center is the USS Chicago. USS Newark is at left and USS Atlanta is at right. This painting is now in the U.S. Capitol. NH 95137

“U.S.S. Newark, off Santiago Bay, Cuba, 1898, Spanish American War, “1900, Watercolor and gouache on paper. Artist: Worden Wood (American, 1880–1943). Yale University collection. Accession 1941.228

USS Miantonomah and USS Newark at target practice. Watercolor by Fred S. Cozzens, 1892. Lithographed by Armstrong & Co. Copied from “Our Navy- Its Growth and Achievements,” copyright 1897. NH 337

Lithograph of USS Newark with her canvas aloft and electric running lights glowing, 1890.

GM1 Mitchell, who later retired from the Navy as a lieutenant, passed in 1925 and is buried at St. Paul’s Catholic Cemetery in Portsmouth, Virginia.

His work at Peking was commemorated in the DC war comic, “Our Fighting Forces” # 135, Feb. 1972, by Norman Maurer.

As for Mitchell’s International Gun (also known as ‘Old Betsy’, ‘Boxer Bill’, ‘Old Crock’ and the ‘Empress Dowager’), used during the siege of the Legation Quarter in Peking, the cannon was carefully escorted back to the States after the rebellion and has been in storage at the U.S. Naval Academy Museum for decades.

The International Gun barrel is in storage at the U.S. Naval Academy Museum. 230614-N-NH164-005

An icon of “Devil Dog” history right up there with Chesty Puller, Sergent Major Dan Daly’s Medals of Honor, including the one earned at Peking while a part of Newark’s Marine det, are in the National Museum of the Marine Corps at Quantico.

Daly is also attributed with saying, “Come on, you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever?” during the Battle of Belleau Wood in WWI.

For more about the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps in the Boxer Rebellion, please check out Emily Abdow’s new work, “The Boxer Rebellion: Bluejackets and Marines in China, 1900–1901,” at the NHHC in PDF format.

As for the name “Newark” despite the Navy’s best efforts, it just hasn’t been done justice ever since.

During the Great War, a commercial tug by the name was taken into service for the duration for work as a minesweeper patrol craft (S. P. 266) and retained her peacetime moniker. A planned Cleveland-class light cruiser (CL-88) was canceled in 1940 while a second of the same class that was to carry the name (CL-100) was converted during construction to the Independence-class light aircraft carrier USS San Jacinto (CVL-30). Finally, another planned USS Newark (CL-108), a Fargo-class light cruiser was canceled on 12 August 1945 when 67.8 percent completed.

The hulk of what was to be the USS Newark (CL-108) was launched on 14 December 1945, without a name but with her hull number stenciled in, for use in underwater explosion tests, then sold on 2 April 1949 for scrapping.

Today, with the final Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruisers in active service slated to decommission sometime in 2027, and no more “C” hull numbers inbound, the line started with Newark in 1888 is set to close after a glorious 139 years.


Ships are more than steel
and wood
And heart of burning coal,
For those who sail upon
them know
That some ships have a
soul.


If you liked this column, please consider joining the International Naval Research Organization (INRO), Publishers of Warship International

They are possibly one of the best sources of naval study, images, and fellowship you can find. http://www.warship.org/membership.htm

The International Naval Research Organization is a non-profit corporation dedicated to the encouragement of the study of naval vessels and their histories, principally in the era of iron and steel warships (about 1860 to date). Its purpose is to provide information and a means of contact for those interested in warships.

With more than 50 years of scholarship, Warship International, the written tome of the INRO has published hundreds of articles, most of which are unique in their sweep and subject.

PRINT still has its place. If you LOVE warships, you should belong.

I’m a member, so should you be!

Warship Wednesday July 27, 2016: The RNs factory for curiosities in gun-mountings

Here at LSOZI, we are going to take off every Wednesday for a look at the old steam/diesel navies of the 1859-1946 time period and will profile a different ship each week. These ships have a life, a tale all of their own, which sometimes takes them to the strangest places.
– Christopher Eger

Warship Wednesday July 27, 2016: The RNs factory for curiosities in gun-mountings

Protected cruiser HMS Terrible.

Via IWM

Here we see the Powerful-type first-class protected cruiser HMS Terrible during her brief career, decked in a tropical white scheme that she used around 1900. Although beautiful in her own respect as a late 19th Century brawler, it was the use of her guns ashore that brought her lasting fame.

Built to rule the waves as independent units capable of raiding enemy merchant ships in time of war– while safeguarding HMs own from the enemy’s similar raiders– the Powerfuls were a two-ship class of very large cruisers with lots of coal bunkerage that enabled them to sail 7,000 nm at 14 knots. Should they stumble on an enemy surface raider, their twin 9.2″/40 (23.4 cm) Mark VIII cocoa-powder breechloaders could fire a 382-pound CPC shell out to 12,846 yards, which was pretty good for the era. A large number of QF 6-inch and QF 12-pounder 12 cwt naval gun (3-inch) guns made up secondary and tertiary armament (though at some point a few 6-inchers were traded for 4.7-inchers, but more on this later).

Class leader HMS Powerful was laid down in 1894 at Vickers Limited, Barrow-in-Furness while her sister and the subject of our tale, HMS Terrible, was laid down at the same time at J.& G. Thomson, Clydebank (Glasgow). As such, she was the seventh such RN vessel with that name dating back to 1694.

HMS Powerful Steaming up the English Channel, 1900, Charles Dixon RI

HMS Powerful Steaming up the English Channel, 1900, by maritime painter Charles Dixon RI. Note the black hull, buff stacks/masts, and white superstructure. Both ships of this class carried this scheme through about 1900.

Completed 8 June 1897 at a cost of £740,584, Terrible beat her design top speed of 22 knots on her trials by hitting 22.4 kn over a four-hour period and made  Portsmouth to Gibraltar with an average speed of 18, which was fast for a pre-Dreadnought era cruiser, especially one of some 15,000-tons.

They were stately ships.

The Captain's cabin was ornate

The Captain’s cabin was ornate

HMS Terrible portrait via Royal Grenwich Museum

HMS Terrible portrait via Royal Grenwich Museum

PhotoWW1-05csTerrible1-PS

Note how Terrible differed from the first image in this post as she looked in 1897 in these two images.

HMS_Terrible_QE2_73
Her first use in war came when the Boers kicked it off against the British in South Africa.

In November 1899, HMS Terrible disembarked six naval guns (two 4.7″, 4 12 pounders) at Durban and, accompanied by 280 members of the Naval Brigade, saw them off by train to Ladysmith, just before the Boers closed the ring and began the storied Siege of Ladysmith. The naval guns were to play an important role in disabling the fire from the Boer Long Toms long enough till a relieving column rescued the town some months later.

Her sister HMS Powerful likewise dismounted a contingent and more guns at Simonstown, and under Commander AP Ethelston above became part of a Naval Brigade, with four guns, and several hundred men. They were sent by train to join the army of Lord Methuen, which was following the western Cape Colony railway hoping to rout the Boers blocking its advance to relieve the town of Kimberley, and engaging the Boers at Graspan on 25 November, which left half the force dead or wounded.

HMS TERRIBLE He who sups with me require a devil of a long spoon

HMS TERRIBLE He who sups with me require a devil of a long spoon

Blue_Jackets_HMS_Terrible

Note the straw hats common to RN sailors, coupled with Army style field uniforms

QF_4.7_inch_gun_Colenso Difficulties of trekking with 4'7 Guns

4.7 Naval Gun on Carriage Improvised by Capt. Percy Scott of H.M.S. Terrible. Photo by E. Kennard

4.7 Naval Gun on Carriage Improvised by Capt. Percy Scott of H.M.S. Terrible. Photo by E. Kennard

Trials at Simonstown of 4-7 and 12-pounders on Captain Scott's Improvised Mountings

From “South Africa and the Transvaal War” 1899:

“You may be interested to hear a little about the Navy, who have come to the front as usual and met an emergency. From the first it would seem that what was wanted were long-range guns which could shell the enemy at a distance outside the range of their Mauser rifles, and the captain of the Terrible, therefore, proposed a field-mounting for the Naval long 12-pounder of 12 cwt., which has a much longer range than any artillery gun out here. A pair of waggon wheels were picked up, a balk of timber used as a trail, and in twenty-four hours a 12-pounder was ready for land service. Captain Scott then designed a mounting for a 4.7-inch Naval gun by simply bolting a ship’s mounting down on to four pieces of pile. Experts declared that the 12-pounder would smash up the trail, and that the 4.7-inch would turn a somersault; the designer insisted, however, on a trial. When it took place, nothing of the kind happened, except that at extreme elevation the 12-pounder shell went 9000 yards and the 4.7-inch (lyddite) projectile 12,000 yards. Captain Scott was, therefore, encouraged to go ahead, and four 12-pounders were fitted and sent round to Durban in the Powerful, and also two 4.7-inch guns. People say here that these guns saved the situation at Ladysmith. A Naval friend writing to me from the camp says: ‘The Boers complain that we are not “playing the game”; they only expected to fight rooineks, not sailors who use guns that range seven miles, and they want us to go back to our ships. One of our lyddite shells went over a hill into their camp, killed fourteen men and wounded thirty. Guns of this description are not, according to the Boer idea, at all proper, and[Pg 142] they do not like our way of staggering humanity. Had these guns been landed earlier, how much might have been saved? It is a peculiar sight to see the 4.7-inch fired. Many thought it would turn over, but Captain Percy Scott appears to have well calculated the stresses; there is with a full charge of cordite a slight rise of the fore end, which practically relieves all the fastenings. Hastily put together, and crude as it looks, it really embraces all the points of a scientific mounting, and it wants a great expert to pronounce an opinion on it. The gun is mounted so high that to the uninitiated it looks as if it must turn over on firing, but it does not, and the higher angle of elevation the less strain there is on it. The arrival of our guns practically put the Royal Artillery guns out of use, for they can come into action 2000 yards behind those supplied to the soldiers and then make better practice. Their arrival has, every one admits, quite changed the situation.’

***

“Captain Scott has also rigged up a searchlight on a railway truck with a flasher attachment, the idea being to use it for communication with Kimberley and Ladysmith if these places are surrounded. It has been tested at a distance of forty miles, and proved a great success. I am told, too, that he is now engaged in designing a travelling carriage for a 6-inch gun, and has, indeed, converted the Terrible into a factory for curiosities in gun-mountings.

“Each mounting, by the way, has an inscription upon it, presumably concocted by the ship’s painter. One, a parody upon the Scotch proverb, runs, ‘Those who sup with me will require a devil of a long spoon’; another, ‘For what we are going to receive may the Lord make us truly thankful—Oom Paul’; and a third, ‘Lay me true and load me tight, the Boers will soon be out of sight.’ I saw one of these guns fired with an elevation of 24 degrees and a range of 12,000 yards, and fully expected to see the whole thing capsize, but it hardly moved. After the firing of several rounds I carefully examined the mounting, and noticed that, crude as it might appear, a wonderful amount of practical knowledge was apparent in its construction; the strain was beautifully distributed, every bolt and each balk bearing its proportionate share. It is in every way creditable to the navy that when emergency arises such a thing could be devised and made by the ship’s engineering staff in twenty-four hours.”

Besides her 4.7’s in use, Terrible‘s Marines and Tars manned a series of armored trains that they helped craft.

A British armored train designed and manned by Terrible's crew during the Second Boer War, covered with 6 inch anchor rope, provided by the Royal Navy, to provide it protection. The improvised additional armor was the source of its name, “Hairy Mary.” (Photo from the McGregor Museum)

A British armored train designed and manned by Terrible’s crew during the Second Boer War, covered with 6 inch anchor rope, provided by the Royal Navy, to provide it protection. The improvised additional armor was the source of its name, “Hairy Mary.” (Photo from the McGregor Museum)

Hairy Mary

Royal Navy bluejackets of HMS Terrible pose by an armored train at Durban during the Boer War. Mounted on the flatbed carriage is an improvised signal lamp consisting of a searchlight and shutter mechanism, powered by a dynamo attached to the train. The officer to the right of the image is possibly Capt. Percy Scott RN. The tower of Durban Post Office can be seen in the background. IWM Q 115145

Royal Navy bluejackets of HMS Terrible pose by an armored train at Durban during the Boer War. Mounted on the flatbed carriage is an improvised signal lamp consisting of a searchlight and shutter mechanism, powered by a dynamo attached to the train. The officer to the right of the image is possibly Capt. Percy Scott RN. The tower of Durban Post Office can be seen in the background. IWM Q 115145

Armoured Train manned by Terrible's Marines galleryThey also found time to do a spot of fishing:

Shark caught by Terrible Angler at DurbanThe next year, Terrible sailed for China station where she repeated her efforts ashore though in a smaller scale, during the Boxer Rebellion. On that trip, she carried 300 Tommies of 2 Btln. Royal Welsh Fusiliers and 40 Royal Engineers.

Arriving in Tientsin 21 June 1900, Terrible landed four of her 12 pounders and, with the help of muscle from Col. Bower’s Wei-hai-Wei (1st Chinese) Regiment, engaged in the relief of that city the next month.

1902 Crewmen of HMS Terrible at Hong Kong.

1902 Crewmen of HMS Terrible at Hong Kong. Note the teak decking and that flatcaps have replaced straw hats. The RN was changing…

Returning to the UK, she and her sister were soon obsolete (their 9.2-inch guns were unique) and, after a brief refit, were placed in ordinary in 1904 after less than a decade’s service.

During WWI, she was reactivated and used as a high speed troop transport (sans most of her armament and with reduced crews) in the Med and Northern Africa, bringing as many as 2,000 soldiers at a time to far off ports to support operations in Salonika, Egypt and Palestine.

Great War service had her in a more sedate haze gray

Great War service had her in a more sedate haze gray with only her small casemate guns still mounted.

In 1920, she was disarmed, renamed the ignoble TS Fisgard III (taken from the old central-battery ironclad ex-HMS Hercules), and used as an accommodations and training ship for another decade. She was sold in July 1932 for scrap.

Likewise, Powerful was renamed TS Impregnable in November 1919, and was sold on 31 August 1929 for breaking up.

The teak decking from both of these vessels was extensively salvaged and crafted into everything from ashtrays to inkwells, chairs and desks and are out there, typically with commemorative brass plates in great numbers.

hms terrible teak wood repurpose

Even her bell was sold off.

Her most enduring legacy, and that of her sister Powerful, is the long-running Royal Navy Field Gun competition which has in turn evolved into the Royal Military Tournament race, which celebrates the epic Ladysmith (and later Tientsin) gun train that saw the scratch Naval Brigade manhandle six field guns each weighing nearly half a metric tonne over rough terrain to save their Army brethren.

Although a Majestic-class carrier, HMS Terrible (R93), was to carry on the old cruiser’s memory, that vessel was instead sold to Australia who commissioned her as HMAS Sydney (R17/A214/P214/L134) in 1948. Thus, the Royal Navy has not had a “Terrible” on their active list since 1920 when our old girl took the “Fisgard” moniker.

Speaking of which, TS Fisgard itself remains as the National Sea Cadet Engineering Training Centre aboard RNAS Prestwick.

More information about Terrible, especially her use at Ladysmith, can be found at Anglo-Boer War.com, Roll of Honour and the Royal Museums Greenwich.

Specs:

Ship model HMS Terrible by Oldham Hugh, via IWM

Ship model HMS Terrible by Oldham Hugh, via IWM

Displacement: 14,200 tons deep load
Length:     500 ft. (150 m)
Beam:     71 ft. (22 m)
Draught:     27 ft. (8.2 m)
Propulsion:
Two shafts
4-cylinder VTE steam engines
48 Bellville-type water-tube boilers
25,000 hp
Speed:     22 knots (41 km/h)
Range:     7,000 nautical miles (13,000 km) at 14 knots (26 km/h)
Endurance:     3000 tons coal
Complement: 894 (designed). By 1915, ~300.
Armament:     (Largely disarmed 1915)
2 × BL 9.2-inch (233.7 mm) Mk VIII guns
12 × QF 6 in (15.2 cm) guns
16 × 12 pdr 3 in guns
12 × 3 pdr guns
4 torpedo tubes (deactivated 1904)
Armour:
2–6 inches (51–152 mm) deck
6 inches (150 mm) barbettes
6 inches (150 mm) gun shields

If you liked this column, please consider joining the International Naval Research Organization (INRO), Publishers of Warship International

They are possibly one of the best sources of naval study, images, and fellowship you can find http://www.warship.org/membership.htm

The International Naval Research Organization is a non-profit corporation dedicated to the encouragement of the study of naval vessels and their histories, principally in the era of iron and steel warships (about 1860 to date). Its purpose is to provide information and a means of contact for those interested in warships.

Nearing their 50th Anniversary, Warship International, the written tome of the INRO has published hundreds of articles, most of which are unique in their sweep and subject.

PRINT still has it place. If you LOVE warships you should belong.

I’m a member, so should you be!